Tuesday, June 3, 2014

From Zero to Hero - Ironman Los Cabos 2014 et al

After IMCoz, I took some time off...

Especially the last two weeks of December where I did absolutely nothing but eat one of each of these every day. 


January 1 was to ease back into training as I had nothing planned until July...

That was until February rolled around.  I accompanied Coach Sara (yes, female champion of IM Brasil 2014) to Tucson and literally dove into training with her.  The first week with Sara, I logged 27.5 hours of swim, bike and run.  I felt a lot like I did during the first few months of my life:

Sara?  What are we doing today?

Training went well, so well in fact that Sara encouraged me to find a race I was excited about and go for it. What about Ironman Los Cabos?  Nothing like a last minute decision to race an iron distance race a month away -- haha.

I admit I started to get scared and questioned how I could be ready in time?  I wanted to take 6 months and just train to have a good iron-distance race.  But, after chatting with Sara, I was somewhat convinced and at the end of the day, trusted her!

Sandwiched in between here was our annual MRT Tucson Phat Camp and a trip to Palm Springs for a small race -- I had a huge PB in the swim and came 4th in my age group. The swim was what I was really excited about -- I came out with the fast girls in my age group for the first time in my life!!

Yay! I just swam like a rockstar and Sara is a pirate!
Onto IMLC --

Ironman Los Cabos results:
8th in AG (first time in the top 10 of my AG!)
Swim: 1:04:56 (!!!!)
Bike:  6:07:46
Run: 4:19:11
Total:  11:37:35

Whoever says that IMLC was easier this year because of the bike course change is full of shit.  It was very hot. The run was ridiculous -- it was 3 laps and near the end of every lap they put this sandy hilly trail section.  It was like Xterra -- I was like, Man you don't DO that to people in an iron-distance race!

Yeah, the money shot right there, Ironman sure ain't about looking glamourous. lol.

 The carnage was plentiful that day.  I chugged along and got it done, but I was borderline having complete bowel release and the occasional cramping along groin and inner thigh area.  I might slow down, but I keep on chugging.  :)

To date, out of the 15 iron-distance races I have done, this one hands down has been the "hardest."  I'm not looking for a harder one, by the way...lol.  They are frigging hard enough without putting a hilly frigging trail section in there!

Good race and fast recovery which is good news for me since I have decided to take on the Dirty Double this year:  two iron-distance races in 7 days.  Ironman Mont Tremblant on Aug. 17 then 7 days later, Challenge Penticton.

After the race Sara and I indulged at the Cabo Gluten Free Bakery in San Jose Del Cabo -- this place is AWESOME!!!!!!!!







 Two days later, I hopped on a plane and made my way to Cozumel where I have been:

Training

Racing


First female overall -- AND FIRST FEMALE OUT OF THE WATER!! 

Hitting pinatas


All for now!!

5 comments:

Sara Gross said...

Julie's blog is back baby!! Hi guys!!

Julie said...

Hey Sara!!! :)

ابو السيد said...


السلامه عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته نحن فى شركة الكمال نقوم بافضل واقوى المبيدات العالميه الموجودة

التى تقضى على جميع الحشرات الطائره والزاحفة وابادة الحشرات
شركة رش مبيدات بجازان
شركة مكافحة حشرات بحائل
شركة رش مبيدات بحائل
والسلامة عليكم وحمة الله وبركاته

Công ty thiết kế biệt thự nhà đẹp Kiến An Vinh said...

nice blog

House design company, beautiful villa design in Vietnam

 You are looking for:

thiet ke biet thu hien dai

thiet ke nha dep 2018

thiet ke biet thu dep

thiet ke xay dung nha

Công ty thiết kế biệt thự nhà đẹp Kiến An Vinh said...

nice blog

House design company, beautiful villa design in Vietnam

 You are looking for:

thiet ke biet thu hien dai

thiet ke nha dep 2018

thiet ke biet thu dep

thiet ke xay dung nha